Friday, November 21, 2014

Not Fall, but winter weddings by Barbara Edwards


My new release, Late for the Wedding, part of the Twelve Brides of Christmas Series from The Wild Rose Press is a Christmas tale to be released November 24, 2014.
After my novella, Gift of the Magi, was a best seller in Amazon's Holiday Romances last Christmas, I was asked to contribute to this series. The basic idea was to use two turtledoves from the Christmas carol. I thought it would be easy but a romance, turtledoves, a wedding as topics took awhile to combine into a story I think you'll enjoy.

I've added the two links to pre-order Late for the Wedding.

Late for the Wedding (Twelve Brides of Christmas Book 2) by Barbara Edwards


Late for the Wedding by Barbara Edwards
Blurb: Heather Green will do anything to make her twin’s wedding perfect. Despite an impending nor’easter, she sets out with the wedding dress, cake, favors and cake topper in her car. As the snow piles up, her car is wrecked and she barely misses injury in a major accident.Nicholas Burnes would rather be ensconced with his latest cuddle than drive a tow truck, but his brother needs his help. He reluctantly agrees to help Heather find a way to the wedding locale, but when the storm closes the roads, he ends up offering her shelter in his penthouse.Warm and rested at last, Nick and Heather explore their powerful attraction to each other, only to part when he delivers her, on time, to her sister’s wedding. But weddings breed weddings…
Excerpt:
She strained to see past the broken windshield. Her throat hurt when she swallowed. Other vehicles lay tangled in a mess, not just the truck and her car. She prayed another car wouldn’t hit her again and inhaled to calm her racing pulse. She finally got the seatbelt lock to release, forced her door open and stood. Her knees shook and she had to hang onto the sagging door for support. She stared around. Headlights glittered like monster eyes. Her vehicle was at the edge of a horrendous multi-car pile-up.
Sirens wailed like lost children. Blinding red and blue lights flashed everywhere as emergency personnel rushed by. Her hands shook as she dragged on her cashmere coat. Time squeezed and expanded like an accordion being played. A fireman asked if she was okay and ran on at her nod.
She brushed moisture from her face and realized she was crying. She pillowed her head on her arm, the roof supporting her as she wept.
“Hey, lady, you okay?” A gentle hand gripped her shoulder.
This time the questioner stopped to listen.
She looked up into scorching blue eyes so bright they could have been a propane flame.  Her skin warmed and her pulse leaped as if it recognized the message in them. They promised heat and comfort and strength like the hand on her shoulder.  He’d pulled his knit hat down over his forehead and his lower face was covered with dark stubble that matched his thick black eyelashes. His hands were splotched with grease and he smelled like oil and fuel fumes. His quilted jacket was stained and patched, his boots wet and cracked, but he exuded strength and caring.
She swallowed. Her mouth was suddenly dry. Another fixer-upper, like her ex, she briefly thought, although with those gorgeous eyes he might be worth the trouble.

 I’m Barbara Edwards and a native New Englander. I’m a graduate of the University of Hartford with a Master’s degree in Public Administration. I write poetry for myself and novels when I need to tell a longer tale. I’m fascinated by the past so naturally turned to writing historical romance. The dark paranormal stories evolve from nightmares. The romance comes from my belief in people’s basic goodness and longing for love. 
  I lived in Florida for several years and am past president of the Central Florida Romance Writers and a member of Romance Writers of America.
When I returned to Connecticut, I founded the Charter Oak Romance Writers, a Chapter of Romance Writers of America, along with several close friends
My husband is a retired Police Sergeant. We share an interest Civil War re-enacting and travel the Eastern states to participate in events. I love visiting museums, galleries and battle sites, gathering information for my stories.
I taught Romance Writing at Manchester Community college for three years.
I’m fond of gardening and growing antique roses with limited success. 
Most of my exercise is when my Belgian Shepherd, Dixie, demands a walk. 

Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A



11 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

You got me, Barbara, with that excerpt. Love your heroes already. Best of luck with your latest release. BTW, I read and LOVED Gift of the Magi.

Alicia Dean said...

Very exciting! Congratulations. Sounds like a fabulous Christmas story. Kudos for working the turtledoves into it. That must have been a challenge. :)

Margo Hoornstra said...

Oops! Make that hero and heroine. Sorry.

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks Margo, I am blushing at the compliment.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Alicia,
You're right. My original idea didn't work out. It was about a tree ornament. hmmm magical powers hmmm maybe I'll go back

Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds like a great Christmas read, Barbara. Best of luck with sales!

Ashantay said...

I'm looking forward to your book release!

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks, Jannine. Hope you get it.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Ahantay,
Next week!

glenys said...

Loved the premise for your story, and using everyone's nightmare - and multi car winter pileup - as a way of introducing the heroine and hero is neat! In Ireland they say: "The going to a wedding is the making of another".

Leah St. James said...

Fantastic concept and excerpt, Barbara. Wishing you much success!