Monday, January 12, 2015

Starting Something New by Vonnie Davis

And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings. ~ Meister Eckhart

For the past year, I've been working on two series of three books each. A contemporary firemen's series set in Clearwater, Florida for Harper Impulse and a bear-shifter series set in the Highlands of Scotland for Random House. Six books that I hope to have finished by April 6th, when the final books of each series are due.

That's right. Two books to two different publishers on the same day. My ex-agent said she forgot to look at my first contract and the dates in it before she encouraged me to take contract number two. My fault: keep a calendar with all your due dates in it, so when a new contract comes rolling in, you can check for yourself. Or, as we like to say, take charge of your life.

I had 3 weeks between the submission dates of two books. Now, I don't know about you, but it takes me a tad longer than 3 weeks to write a full-length book. I had to ask my editor for an extension which went against my work ethic. In every job I've held, I've always met my deadlines.

So, here's where the bit of insanity slips in.

I'm ready--eager, really--to start my next series for Random House. But first, I'm taking a break. I've already had the nervous breakdown. Thanks to too many deadlines too close together. This year, one publisher, one series, one locale. I mean, I can't tell you the times I had my firemen in Florida speaking with a Scottish brogue! The Delete key became my BFF.
 
 
 
I don't think making mistakes is a bad thing. Not always. I learned a lot about myself through this process of over-extension. I've also learned to say, "No." And, at sixty-six, it's about time, don't you think? But society tells us to take on more, to do more, to achieve more. Sometimes we lose the joyous and renewing state of just being, of observing, of listening, of enjoying people important to us. Last year went by in a blur of words. This year, I hope the treadmill slows down....after all, I'm retired!
 
Here's my book trailer for A HIGHLANDER'S OBSESSION that was one of Amazon's best sellers last year, well, for a month anyhow.
 
T

11 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

You definitely need a break. Sounds like a well-thought-out plan. Slow down, enjoy life, then hit your new project fresh and ready to go. Good for you for taking control of your life again!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Vonnie. You say you're eager to start the new series. What a great feeling, right? That's kind of what writing is all about. The eagerness, the joy. You weathered the storm, survived and came away wiser.

Alicia Dean said...

I need to do the same, take a break and learn to say no! The trailer is awesome! Congrats and have a nice 2015! :)

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Jannine, when your grandkids call you and tell you they need to hear your voice before they chatter on for an hour, you know you have to step away from the madness and jump back into your life. I've taken to texting them more, teasing them...what time did U get ur GF home last nite? Fess up to G-ma. Or...how did that physics test go U were worried about? And they tease me back about my lack of texting skills. But I have to reach out in little ways so they know how important they are to me. There's just been too many books due this past year. Can we spell insanity?

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I hope I'm wiser, Margo. It's been rough, worrying about what's due next and how many words do they want?

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Saying "no" is hard, isn't it Alicia. For me it is. And I can get myself in the worst messes by saying "sure, I can do that for you." ACK!

Barbara Edwards said...

Congratulations ans I hope all your work results in great sales. Knowing how well you write, I'd bet on it.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Barb. Some days I feel as if my writing is getting worse instead of stronger. Too much pressure, I guess. Then self-doubt creeps in...

Diane Burton said...

Vonnie, you are amazing! A calendar for your book deadlines is a great idea. Loved your firemen speaking with a Scottish brogue. I love that new beginning feeling. Take a break. You won't lose that feeling.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

My mind needs a break. It gets so tired, I just want to lay it down somewhere, but I'm afraid I'll forget where I put it. Thanks for your kind words.

Leah St. James said...

You are so right, Vonnie, about our culture pushing us to do more, more, more. It's like that in the corporate setting too. So glad you're giving yourself the time for that break. (And hey, it wouldn't be so bad for the guy in Florida to be speaking with a brogue either.) :-)